2020 Basic Arts Institute is going online!!! Register until July 1st.
Three credit 500 level class available through UAS
Amplifying Stories through Arts and Culture
Join us as we go virtual with music, visual and media arts, and movement! You will be immersed in
storytelling, technology, cultural arts, the state standards and:
- Gain experience with distance learning strategies through an arts and culture lens.
- Learn from teaching artists, cultural specialists and Elders.
- Develop skills for connecting classroom communities across various student devices.
- Take the virtual classroom experience to the next level through an arts and culture focus
- Design an arts/culture integrated lesson plan.
Work with the following teaching artists and educators:
- Edward Littlefield, Music and Tlingit Culture
- Shelley Toon Lindberg, Visual and Media Arts
- Abel Ryan, Formline design
- Martha Lehe-Gould, Culture in the Classroom
- Andrea Pokrzywinski, Distance Learning/Technology
Sealaska Heritage Institute is offering registration scholarships for the first 25 teachers from Juneau, Ketchikan or Yakatat to register for this event. (Select the Scholarship Teachers option.) Teachers will be informed of their scholarship status at a later date.
There is also an opportunity for an extended contract (with financial incentive) for a cohort of interested teachers to work together and produce exceptional lessons or units. Please keep in mind that Sealaska is looking for up to 15 teachers to continue to develop their lessons throughout the year and will provide a contract for $300 X 10 meetings = $3000.
A detailed scheduled will be emailed to participants.
Proposed times are currently planned as follows, but are subject to change as we work with presenters.
Week 1: M, Tu, Th, F : 9:00 a.m. – Noon and 1:00 – 3:20 p.m.
Week 2: M, Tu, Th, F: 9:00 a.m. – Noon and M, Tu, Th 1:00 – 3:30 p.m.; Fri 1:00 – 4:15 p.m.
We will be active before the Institute begins with:
- purchasing required text and supplies and mailing to registered participants:
- arranging for a ‘tech check’ for each participant.
Therefore we ask any withdraws take place by July 1 when texts/supplies will be ready (hopefully). A fee of up to $100 will be charged if late withdraw occurs after we have mailed the boxes.
Presented jointly by Alaska Arts Education Consortium and Sealaska Heritage Institute.
For questions or additional information, contact Barb Short at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Juneau Basic Arts & Culture Virtual Institute
July 20, 2020 - July 31, 2020
8:30 am - 5:00 pm