The Alaska Arts Education Consortium (AAEC) Champions of Arts in Education Award formally recognizes and honors Alaskan individuals or organizations who “champion” the arts in education. These Champions carry the torch for arts education through high-caliber instruction, arts support, and ongoing arts promotion.
This award is a celebratory action, aimed at highlighting the positive impact of the arts on the lives of our children and youth. The efforts of these champions in teaching and supporting arts across the curriculum reflects the mission of AAEC, which is “to ensure that all of Alaska’s students learn in and through the arts.”
2021 Champions Flyer for you to use and share: Champions 2021 Flyer Final
AAEC has designated four categories of Champions of Arts in Education, including:
- Arts Leader–a school or community leader who champions arts education through policy, community engagement, organizing and providing for quality arts education for children and youth in Alaska.
- Arts Educator–a teacher working directly with children and youth, classroom teachers, arts specialists, teaching artists, cultural specialists, peer educators in Alaska who exemplify the impact arts education can have on children and youth.
- Arts Advocate–a school or community advocate, supporting educators and students to access arts education opportunities, and speaking out about the impact of arts education on children and youth in Alaska.
- Arts Student–a 6th-12th grade student of any art form who strives for excellence in their emerging work, and who seeks the opportunity to increase their knowledge and skill, as well as opportunities for his or her peers in Alaska.
Each nomination application will be examined through the lens of the following criteria:
- The application highlights the nominee’s positive impact on the lives of children and youth in and through the arts as a teacher, mentor, student, role model, and/or advocate.
- The application describes the nominee’s personal dedication to creating meaning in his/her/their own practice in and/or through the arts.
- The application highlights the nominee’s dedication, over time, to promote high quality learning in and through the arts for Alaska students of all backgrounds.
- The application describes at least one specific account of how and why the nominator believes his or her nominee should be recognized as a “Champion of the Arts in Education” in the Arts Educator, Arts Leadership, Arts Advocate or Arts Student category.
- Champions will be announced at the annual Alaska’s Heart Through Student Art Show and Reception, co-hosted by AAEC, Alaska Council of School Administrators, and GCI Education. The Student Champion’s art will be highlighted in a special display at this show and will receive a scholarship from this event.
- The Arts Educator Champion will receive a complimentary registration at any AAEC Summer Institute of their choosing in either 2021 or 2022.
Nomination form due by February 1, 2021
Below is the link to the 2021 Champions Nominations form:
You may contact the Alaska Arts Education Consortium Executive Director Barbara Short at (907) 322-6669 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions, or for technical assistance.